Our origins began in 1921 when Dr. Torsten Källe founded the Källe Regulator Company in Säffle, Sweden. Over the course of the next several decades, the company invented, developed and applied a broad range of pulp consistency and processing transmitters. In the 1960s, we became the global leader for pulp consistency and processing control and changed names to Eur-Control. In 1985 Eur-Control and AB Inventing (coater manufacturer) – both part of the Bonnier Group – merged and became BTG (Bonnier Technology Group).
Meanwhile, in the early 1980s, research and development commenced on the use of ceramic high-performance coating blades and in 1983, BTG received the first patent for these blades. By the mid-80s, ceramic coating blades were regularly applied across all regions of the world, and metallic technologies and tissue creping blades followed in 1990.
In 2001, BTG acquired Mütek of Herrsching, Germany, which complements the company with a broad portfolio of in-line and laboratory sensors and analyzers. In 2006, BTG acquired IPI LLC (formerly Integrated Products), based in De Pere, WI, USA to provide additional metering technologies for coating color and film-metering size presses.
In 2016, Spectris plc the parent company of BTG acquired Capstone Technology Corporation with operations in Vancouver and Seattle, USA. Capstone is a leading provider of software for process control optimization and decision support analytics across several processing industries.
Today, the BTG Group is headquartered in Eclépens, Switzerland. It operates four manufacturing sites, three research centers and several regional application centers and employs more than 460 professionals across the globe. True to our heritage, we have remained a highly specialized and agile technology provider contributing to the success of thousands of pulp and papermaking operations and other industrial processes all over the world.